I was getting snappy this afternoon; I’d had enough of the onslaught of requests from my kids. So, I decided to have a cup of tea in the garden and be still for a while. It’s windy but I’m wrapped up and watching the girls’ windmills go round in the breeze. Here are a few ideas of ways to have a more peaceful life:
1. Have a cup of tea and a biscuit in your garden.
2. Don’t allow housework after a certain time of the day.
3. Listen to Nick Drake and Tim Buckley.
4. Go to a place with shades of green everywhere and let it calm you.
5. Book appointments with yourself to have a bath, pamper yourself, go for coffee alone, read a magazine in its entirety. It is as important as obligatory appointments.
6. Have a long shower with lavender scented products (when your kids are asleep, if you have kids.)
7. Care about people’s problems, but be there without fixing everything for them.
8. Drink less caffeine and more herbal tea when you’re winding down for bed.
9. Make more time to read on paper instead of on a screen.
10. Do puzzles, crosswords and word searches.
11. Use your hands more and let your mind switch off. Start a picture journal or if words are your thing, write down all the beautiful details of your day.
12. Listen to recordings of sea sounds if you can’t get close to the real thing.
13. Learn about types of flowers and trees. Get books from the library and teach your kids too. Go for nature walks with them and identify them.
14. Make your own fairy garden or gnome garden. Use a pot if you don’t have a garden.
15. Take an umbrella and go for a walk in the rain. Let the rainwater wash away your worries.
16. Go for walks with no destination in mind.
17. Make your own bunting with fabric scraps or coloured paper.
18. Take a basket to the beach and collect pretty shells and stones.
19. Read books about mindfulness.
20. Make your own bread. Kneading it is cathartic and you can add any interesting ingredients you like.
Hope you manage to incorporate peacefulness into your day in little ways 🙂